Having travelled extensively, Sam has an in depth knowledge of all Eastern cooking.
TEST KITCHEN NOTES
Ssamjang is a thick, spicy paste used with food wrapped in a leaf in Korean cuisine.
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 yolk from a lightly boiled egg (coddled for a minute or two in boiling water)
2 Garlic cloves crushed fine
3 Anchovy fillets, chopped small
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano
1 Romaine lettuce head, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
3 thick slices pancetta, cooked till crispy
1 slice sourdough bread, torn into 3/4-inch chunks
1 Garlic clove, peeled, kept whole
In This Recipe
- In a bowl beat the lime juice into the softly boiled egg yolk.
- Add the crushed garlic.
- Add the finely-chopped anchovies.
- Add black pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the oil.
- Add the Parmigiano.
- Taste. If you need salt, add it now.
- To the bowl, add the Romaine and toss well with your hands.
- Lick your fingers.
- In the same pan in which the pancetta crisped, toast the torn-up pieces of sourdough over medium heat. When crispy, rub each piece lightly with the whole garlic clove. Toss over salad.
- Add pieces of crispy pancetta.
- Enjoy with some cold, fruity white wine.